Sabot Loaded

Commander's Periscope......From The Right Side......The views expressed here DO NOT represent the US Military and some of the views belong strictly to my wife. Enough said!

11.22.2006

The Draft

Based on the recent comments by several ill-informed individuals about reinstating the draft, I thought I might put my commander thoughts out there. I don't think anyone would argue that we have the best military in the world. Not just the best equipment, but more importantly the best Soldiers. Smart. Tough. Dedicated. How did we get this kind of a military? How did the USA get so lucky to have the greatest military power? Did we just put rocks behind really good equipment and it just happens to work?

We have this military because men and women that want to serve their country joined voluntarily. Not only are they people that want to serve their country, but they are smart and dedicated. They really TRY to do the best they can. Soldiers have pride in their jobs. When a lot of civilians (don't take this as you if it doesn't apply, just going off what I've seen) have things messed up at work, it is someone else's fault, or they just don't care. Soldiers get pissed. Really pissed. And they get pissed because of the pride they have for their responsibilities to the unit.

If you force people to join the military, the reasons we are great will disappear and we will become a mediocre mess that once was the greatest collection of hero's ever assembled. As a commander, I'll take the unit of volunteers, keep your draft for somewhere else.

2 Comments:

At 21:50, Blogger devildog6771 said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have been making this plug since the beginning of the conflict. Or, at least since the anti freedom crowd got vocal!

I have several post about what I call assembly line soldiers that I observed during Vietnam. If we force a draft into law, instead of 3,00+ deaths in five years we will easily see that same number per year.

Of course you realize that the anti war crowd want this draft. It fits in with their plan of assuring that we lose the war!

 
At 21:19, Blogger Unknown said...

Please see Col North's article on Fox News entitled "Feeling the Draft", a very good article.
Thanks for the visit to my humble blog by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home